Wednesday, February 10, 2016

1 Scrapbook Mistake You Should Never Make

Get a group of scrapbookers working on pages and you'll hear someone say "there are no mistakes in scrapbooking".  While I have always agreed that we each are unique and our pages should be unique, I discovered that there is 1 HORRIBLE mistake that scrappers can make.

I've had friends make this mistake and I just couldn't believe that they did this. But then, I did it too!!!  I knew better but I made the 1 scrapbook mistake you should never make.  I didn't back up my digital photos. 

In a hurry to get to a crop vacation, I downloaded almost a year of photos from my cameras directly onto my external hard drive.  I usually put them on my computer and use the external as back up.  I thought I could wait a week and back them up when I got home. I took the hard drive with me to make an online digital photo book.  Sure enough, at the crop, I knocked the hard drive off the table.  Killed my hard drive with no back up of nearly a year's worth of photos.

I consider myself lucky and stu***.  Lucky that it wasn't my only copy of all my photos but stu*** because I knew better.

Don't make this mistake, make sure you have at least two copies. If you have an automated back up, check frequently that it is actually working.  Several friends discovered to late that theirs stopped working.

I bought a new external hard drive and have my photos on it and on my desktop.  I also put all my photos on an online printing service website. I then printed DVD's of all the years and continue to make a copy for each year. This gives me a total of 4 places that I have my photos stored.  Because we live in So Cal where earthquakes and fires are reality, I keep the DVDs in our safety deposit box.


We scrapbook to document memories and family history.  We can't possibly scrapbook all our photos nor guarantee our books will last forever so it's important that we protect our photos as best we can.  Don't make the Mistake of not protecting those digital images.

Be careful and have fun, Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment