Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Old Photos, Slides, and Negatives

In the last post, I linked to a post 8 Steps To Organized Photos. Step 4 talks about digitizing some of your older photos and step 6 says to get old slides and negatives stored properly.  I suggest you get them digitized also.  I have found that flatbed scanners and all in one printer/scanners can easily scan photos. It takes time but some photos are worth it.  You'd also be surprised at the details you can see.  I scanned a very small photo of my dad and his brother to discover that they were holding gliders in their hands.  It was a fun discovery.

Detailed CNet article on photo scanning.
I have not found using a flatbed or all in one to work well with slides or negatives even though in both cases they said that they would.  The all in one actually had a special holder for the purpose but it just didn't seem the quality was worth the time.  I eventually bought a scanner that was designed just for slides and negatives.  I only paid $99 at a big chain store but the quality was pretty good.  I did have to spend a lot of time with adjustments and the scan time was really slow.  I have also used a send away service.  This was much pricier and the one I used was very slow.  (Months)  There are now better slide/film scanners that don't have to be hooked up to a computer while you're scanning and it seems like more companies are available for scanning.  I would suggest checking the reviews, cost, and pick which option works for you, scan your own or pay someone else. 

You have to decide how important those old pictures are to you but know that the longer you wait the more degraded the pictures, slides, and film are getting.


I hope you make some fun discoveries as you organize and store your photos, Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment