Friday, November 20, 2015

Scrapbooking in 1974

My first scrapbook that I shared with you was based on the scrapbooks my mother had.  Yes, she was scrapbooking in the early 1950's.  She had scrapbooks that were of ticket stubs, cards she'd received, etc.  She also had photo albums that had black pages, she used photo corners to hold the photos onto the page and she labeled her pictures using white ink.  I loved looking at her scrapbooks and photo albums.
 
My second scrapbook was actually homemade in a mother and daughter's club that all the neighbor ladies started with us girls.  I'm not sure where that book went to but it was mostly birthday and Valentine cards I received.  My first photo album was after I got a camera of my own and I was probably around 10.  Film and developing were expensive so I didn't get to take too many pictures.  Later I received one of the first inexpensive Polaroid cameras.  That film was expensive but you didn't have to develop it.

I continued to enjoy my mom's albums and when I got to high school I bought myself a scrapbook and created an album that contained photos, memorabilia, and journaling.  It was about my senior year of high school.  So in 1974, I created my first scrapbook that had photos in it.  To me that was very unique because I had never seen photos mixed in with memorabilia in one album.  When you bought a photo album, it said that on the front cover , was wider than it was tall and had black pages.  A scrapbook said scrapbook on the cover, was taller than it was wide and had gray or manila colored pages.


Who knew that 20 years later scrapbooking would become a booming industry and a passion for so many of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment